Sophy Hollington is a woman of many, many talents. As well as being one of It’s Nice That’s illustration crushes Sophy also plays guitar in psychedelic quartet Novella, which released its second album Change of State earlier this year.
Sophy’s multitalented fingers cut the finest lino prints and speedily pluck guitar strings but this week she has put her hands to work making a Friday Mixtape to laze about it to this long weekend.
Why have you picked these songs?
There’s not a theme really, it’s just what I’m listening to at the moment along with some old favourites. I tried to make a playlist that wasn’t overly sad. Sad songs are my catnip.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager and why?
The Nuggets and Pebbles compilations made a lasting impression on me. My favourite track off any of those is Phil and the Frantics I Must Run. It’s a re-hash of The Zombies I Must Move but they really nail the melancholy with the oohs.
What song or album is consistently playing in your studio and why?
The Vince Guaraldi Trio album A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing, makes for great working music. I find it quite distracting listening to music with singing when I’m trying to think or draw. Then when I’m carving a block I’ll pop on a This American Life or another podcast as I’ll generally be there for days and need the company.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue by Them.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors