The new Hawksmoor show at The Royal Academy celebrates the superstar architect and his work but buildings – and in particular churches – do not exist in isolation. They form part of communities which react to, combine with and sometimes outgrow them. This magnificent series from the insanely-good Spitalfields Life blog shows Hawksmoor’s Christ Church Spitalfields from a variety of angles, sometimes proud and dominant, at other times peeping through the skyline competitors of modern life. Beautiful on their own terms, they are also a comment on religion and regeneration, shifting attitudes and enduring landmarks.
There’s an excellently written piece that goes with them too, but the person behind them is referred to only as "the gentle author’ so for the moment the man or woman responsible must remain a mystery!
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant