When it comes to advertising the very best ads have to be the most memorable ones and whilst that leaves Compare the Meercat and a whole host of other jingle-heavy, unavoidably catchy advertisements permanently embedded in your mind, it also makes the hard-hitting films which carry the somewhat more serious messages at the forefront of your thoughts.
Being released during prime time television yesterday, St John Ambulance’s brand new video entitled Helpless most definitely ticks the hard-hitting box.
Telling the harrowing story of the journey of a cancer survivor from the moment he is diagnosed, through his recovery and then to his deathbed when he chokes at a barbecue, the clever campaign centres around the fact that 140,000 people die each year in situations in which basic first aid could have saved their lives – the same number of people who die from cancer each year.
Beautifully shot from beginning to end, the two minute film is the collaborative creation of advertising hotshots Bartle Bogle Hegarty and the obviously seriously talented director Beniro Montorio and, whilst it may not being the cheeriest way to spend two minutes, you sure won’t be forgetting it in a while.
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos