The young woman is visibly jumpy when asked by the journalist if she’s ever seen aliens. She can’t really say now, because there are some in the immediate vicinity…So begins Steven Brahms’ fabulous short documentary The Event which tells the story of the small French town of Bugarach, to where the eyes of the world turned last year.
Unwittingly this tiny town in the Pyrenees (population 189) became the centre of various theories wrapped up in the supposed apocalypse which some believed was going to hit on December 21, 2012. It was said that the alien rapture would take place around the mountain that overlooks Bugarach, leading to a media frenzy, the authorities readying police and even the army to deal with the anticipated influx and some several hundred believers descending on the town ready for extraterrestrial salvation.
Steven was there too, blurring the boundaries between the watchers and the watched by giving interviews to film crews and documenting what he saw. The resulting piece isn’t really about spaceships at all; it’s about how the bizarre intersection between alternate belief systems and a media machine that craves feeding 24/7 can combine to produce something out of (quite literally) nothing.
- Making propaganda about propaganda: Metahaven’s new film considers fantasy and truth in internet culture
- The world’s largest Renoir collection is made accessible to all by filmmaker Phil Grabsky
- Ryan Peltier plays with scale in his neatly constructed space-themed illustrations
- First Dates for those who create: Jessica Walsh and Timothy Goodman talk dating and working (and both)
- Vogue celebrates 100 years of style at the National Portrait Gallery
- Superb designs by London studio Julia for the Whitechapel Gallery
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016