The young woman is visibly jumpy when asked by the journalist if she’s ever seen aliens. She can’t really say now, because there are some in the immediate vicinity…So begins Steven Brahms’ fabulous short documentary The Event which tells the story of the small French town of Bugarach, to where the eyes of the world turned last year.
Unwittingly this tiny town in the Pyrenees (population 189) became the centre of various theories wrapped up in the supposed apocalypse which some believed was going to hit on December 21, 2012. It was said that the alien rapture would take place around the mountain that overlooks Bugarach, leading to a media frenzy, the authorities readying police and even the army to deal with the anticipated influx and some several hundred believers descending on the town ready for extraterrestrial salvation.
Steven was there too, blurring the boundaries between the watchers and the watched by giving interviews to film crews and documenting what he saw. The resulting piece isn’t really about spaceships at all; it’s about how the bizarre intersection between alternate belief systems and a media machine that craves feeding 24/7 can combine to produce something out of (quite literally) nothing.
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery