Swedish agency Summer Studio has created the identity for the Royal Institute of Art Stockholm spring exhibitions, which showcase work by graduating students from fine art and architecture courses in several separate exhibitions around Stockholm. Summer Studio’s Minna Sakaria and Carolina Dahl were commissioned together with the design collective 2typer (Sepidar Hosseini and Moa Schulman), and created a look based around multiple posters.
“The project was complex, with its 50+ students exhibiting 50+ different art projects with as many different topics,” says Summer Studio. "We decided to work with this diversity rather than against it and asked ourselves if it was possible to create a framework that could allow a multitude of visual expressions as well as communicate clearly.
“Our solution was to develop a multiple poster identity. This meant that instead of having all the information on one contained poster, we split up the information layers (logo, address, title, illustration) and gave each layer its own poster. This resulted in no less than 35 posters. The curation of the posters into communication clusters was made by the person posting them. Hence, the design was incomplete without our favourite design principal, randomness and participation.”
The illustrations that feature on the posters are the result of sending out a questionnaire to students, asking questions like “if your piece was a temperament, what would it be?” The imagery was then created in response to this. MFA and BFA courses are differentiated through the colour schemes (red for the former, blue for the latter).
- Beyond Dementia exhibition features artworks and curation by people with the condition
- Creatives' favourite music videos: the inspirational, forbidden and political
- Scott Sheffield examines tourism in the small towns surrounding America’s National Parks
- ECAL photography graduate Cécilia Poupon elevates everyday beauty
- Illustrator Franz Lang draws your daily struggles
- Graffiti, murals and design: Jake Foreman illustrates all mediums in new zine, Flash
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels