I’m going to have to lay my cards on the table here, I’m not a big animal lover. For one thing I’m a meat eater and something about eating animals and keeping pets has always seemed contradictory to me. Secondly, and more importantly, I was bitten by my pet hamster as a child and have never quite recovered from the experience of seeing my blood smeared over his white little furry mouth. He died shortly after the incident, but legally speaking the two events can’t be linked.
In stark contradiction to my animal apathy I’m completely enamoured with Ping Zhu’s charming illustrations of your (not my) furry friends. Working in brush, ink and a touch of photoshop, Ping creates incredibly engaging illustrations of a veritable bestiary of creatures. The delicate and playful quality of her brushwork imbues each of her characters with a vitality and affability that makes me really care for them, particularly her depressed chimp. Rather wonderfully, Ping manages to communicate these subtle nuances in body language whether creating representational or highly-stylised renderings of animals; a unique and enviable skill.
Ping’s also a dab hand at drawing pretty much anything, including people, but don’t even get me started on how I feel about people…
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant