This isn’t the first cinematic trailer/featurette a top gallery has produced for their “blockbuster” exhibition – for a while now, institutes have doubtless realised the potential viral power of such films for garnering interest from an audience who may not be in the same country, let alone the same city, as the gallery. The latest big-time show at London’s National Gallery is particularly well suited to a cineaste tastes as they present three definitive works by the Italian master Titian; his Metamorphosis paintings of Ovid’s Acteon and Diana.
In three-and-a-half minutes Tell No One, the directorial duo Luke White and Remi Weekes, create a stunning, fantastical interpretation of the renowned myth featuring Anna Friel and a guy that looks like a deer (great casting!). Contemporised into the dining room of a country estate, the titular Acteon gets one beguiling look from Friel’s goddess Diana from across the roast partridge and is emboldened to walk in on her in the bathroom.
Cue brilliantly executed scenes of anthropomorphism and deft editing of what could easily have appeared to be a rushed job if it wasn’t for the large and appropriately painterly framing of each scene. Titian would be proud.
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team