This isn’t the first cinematic trailer/featurette a top gallery has produced for their “blockbuster” exhibition – for a while now, institutes have doubtless realised the potential viral power of such films for garnering interest from an audience who may not be in the same country, let alone the same city, as the gallery. The latest big-time show at London’s National Gallery is particularly well suited to a cineaste tastes as they present three definitive works by the Italian master Titian; his Metamorphosis paintings of Ovid’s Acteon and Diana.
In three-and-a-half minutes Tell No One, the directorial duo Luke White and Remi Weekes, create a stunning, fantastical interpretation of the renowned myth featuring Anna Friel and a guy that looks like a deer (great casting!). Contemporised into the dining room of a country estate, the titular Acteon gets one beguiling look from Friel’s goddess Diana from across the roast partridge and is emboldened to walk in on her in the bathroom.
Cue brilliantly executed scenes of anthropomorphism and deft editing of what could easily have appeared to be a rushed job if it wasn’t for the large and appropriately painterly framing of each scene. Titian would be proud.
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant