Cheers to Till Hafenbrak. Detailed, very well worked, and full of fun, the Berlin-based illustrator refreshes the traditional visual languages and processes of graphic design and reminds us of their extraordinary illustrative power.
Often using restricted palettes of only two or three colours, he conjures up creatures, cityscapes, and social situations that are nevertheless arrestingly appealing. Here and there, we see nods to older reproductive processes than the digital ones we currently take for granted. The details of Landscape with Fishermen, for example, bear resemblance to early twentieth-century woodcut pictograms, while many of his images either mimic, or are produced using, screenprinting processes. The overall result is that of carefully worked and juxtaposed shapes that vividly evoke landscapes, wildlife, aaaaand… Batman!
Hafenbrak is one of the three founder-members of Biografiktion , which was set up with two fellow classmates from the Universität der Künste Berlin (University of the Arts Berlin) when they graduated in 2009. Wunderbar!
- Parterre de Rois: the Black issue features Anish Kapoor and Nina Chanel Abney
- Noah Beckwith’s experimental approach to his “stream-of-consciousness” posters
- Talya Modlin shares illustrated gems from her sketchbook
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors
- The exploratory and exciting typefaces of Out of the Dark
- MullenLowe Group’s Global Creative Officer José Miguel Sokoloff on judging CSM's degree shows
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris