Photographer Toby Coulson was shortlisted for the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize while still a student at University College Falmouth, so it goes without saying that he’s really very good with a camera – but that’s probably disrespectful to the true extent of his talents. Aside from possessing an undeniable knack for using a lens, he’s also particularly gifted when it come to choosing an interesting subject.
Previous projects have seen him documenting the trials and tribulations of the people of Allaleigh in Devon – a village struggling with the demise of small-scale farming across the UK – forming a severe but beautiful picture of one of our country’s forgotten communities. But we’re suckers for a good portrait here so feast your eyes on Toby’s shots of competitors in animal shows. From pigeon enthusiasts and rabbit breeders to a selection of exceptionally proud cat lovers, Toby’s managed to capture them at the apex of concentration, lost in the severity of their grooming pursuits.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris