Photographer Toby Coulson was shortlisted for the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize while still a student at University College Falmouth, so it goes without saying that he’s really very good with a camera – but that’s probably disrespectful to the true extent of his talents. Aside from possessing an undeniable knack for using a lens, he’s also particularly gifted when it come to choosing an interesting subject.
Previous projects have seen him documenting the trials and tribulations of the people of Allaleigh in Devon – a village struggling with the demise of small-scale farming across the UK – forming a severe but beautiful picture of one of our country’s forgotten communities. But we’re suckers for a good portrait here so feast your eyes on Toby’s shots of competitors in animal shows. From pigeon enthusiasts and rabbit breeders to a selection of exceptionally proud cat lovers, Toby’s managed to capture them at the apex of concentration, lost in the severity of their grooming pursuits.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs