My initial plan was to write about just one of Tom Chung’s design projects, Locker Room, a stylish bit of kit designed to bring the thrill and anticipation of team sports into your own home. But then I discovered that it was just one project in a series of sports-related gems, so bear with me while I take you through them all.
First up is Shotclock, an oversized display clock designed to make you more proactive and efficient in your day-to-day tasks by recreating the dying seconds of a basketball game; counting down the time you’ve set yourself to complete an allotted task before buzzing obnoxiously to signal that your time is up. If we had one of these in the studio I could have had this article written in half the time.
Second is Nets, a beautifully crafted set of wooden markers that let you set up your own football pitch on any piece of grass you happen upon. The four wooden pegs come in their own fold-up case that can be attached directly to your bike frame, meaning you can easily take them with you wherever you go. Infinitely better than sweater goalposts.
And lastly the project I intended to feature; Locker Room. Tom has designed a simple piece of locker room apparatus that’s small and good-looking enough for you to bring into your house without looking like an obsessive jock. With all the storage you need for your tennis kit and enough bench space for you to collapse on after some particularly strenuous sets, we reckon it won’t be long before we’re all bringing the Locker Room int our living rooms. There’s even a rack for a football underneath if you’re into that sort of thing.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s