One day news might reach us of a Unit Editions publication that doesn’t knock our socks off but to paraphrase Gladiator “not yet…not yet.” Type Plus is the latest title from Adrian Shaughnessy and Tony Brook’s imprint and it sets out “to investigate the practice of combining typography with images to increase effectiveness, potency and visual impact.”
The editors believe this practice of partnering type and graphic elements – which is particularly prevalent in the contemporary design climate – can “turbo-charge meaning and impact…The era of type as a passive, semi-invisible holder of meaning is long gone.”
As ever Unit’s team draws on its unparalleled breadth of reference to support the book’s thesis, and there’s work to enjoy from the likes of Kevin Chao and Paula Scher plus studios like Hoax and Ilg/Trüb Grafik. There’s also interviews with Non-Format, TwoPoints.Net and Erik Brandt as well as an introductory essay from leading design critic Yves Peters.
While we’re here it would be remiss not to mention that Spin – Tony Brook’s studio and designers of all the Unit Editions oeuvre – have just unveiled a tremendous new website, a sleek black affair which showcases their work brilliantly.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant