One day news might reach us of a Unit Editions publication that doesn’t knock our socks off but to paraphrase Gladiator “not yet…not yet.” Type Plus is the latest title from Adrian Shaughnessy and Tony Brook’s imprint and it sets out “to investigate the practice of combining typography with images to increase effectiveness, potency and visual impact.”
The editors believe this practice of partnering type and graphic elements – which is particularly prevalent in the contemporary design climate – can “turbo-charge meaning and impact…The era of type as a passive, semi-invisible holder of meaning is long gone.”
As ever Unit’s team draws on its unparalleled breadth of reference to support the book’s thesis, and there’s work to enjoy from the likes of Kevin Chao and Paula Scher plus studios like Hoax and Ilg/Trüb Grafik. There’s also interviews with Non-Format, TwoPoints.Net and Erik Brandt as well as an introductory essay from leading design critic Yves Peters.
While we’re here it would be remiss not to mention that Spin – Tony Brook’s studio and designers of all the Unit Editions oeuvre – have just unveiled a tremendous new website, a sleek black affair which showcases their work brilliantly.
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- The irreverent spontaneity of Stefan Marx’s markmaking
- Vicky Grout takes us on a photographic trip through east London using Kodak's Ektra smartphone
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Timo Kuilder combines clean-cut linework with limited colours in his editorial work
- David Luraschi’s strikingly simple new campaign for fashion brand Jacquemus
- How 13 designers responded to a one-word brief: water
- Nicolas Ménard creates short animation for online mortgage broker Habito