Some artists choose to approach galleries to get their artwork seen, some choose to mingle in arty places and talk their way to the top. But as the wind changes and the art scene shifts like a huge, unpredictable tectonic plate, we find an increasing number of artists who have made a substantial name for themselves from meme factories such as Reddit (“the front page of the internet”).
Artist Valeriya Volkova is an internet sensation, and is receiving large sums of money for creating bespoke paintings, book covers and designs for fans. The picture below of the couple riding in the back of the pick-up truck driven by a T-Rex with a labrador on top? That was an engagement gift, commissioned by the husband of the lucky wife-to-be. Thinking about getting your wife a Magi-Mix to celebrate your fatal commitment? Stop where you are and get in contact with Valeriya immediately, you won’t regret it.
- “Run towards the noise” – MINI contemplates the future of mobility and personalisation in London
- Photographer Benedetta Ristori documents cultural juxtapositions on the Balkan peninsula
- June Korea’s photographic fantasy: one man’s relationship with his sex doll
- Smart, funny and expertly executed party posters from German designer Mark Bohle
- Vice, despair and a bafflingly fertile imagination from Brooklyn-based Milton Melvin Croissant III
- A focus on typography in Ghent-based designer Corbin Mahieu's updated portfolio
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- More bonkers and surreal selfies from Izumi Miyazaki
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web