Some artists choose to approach galleries to get their artwork seen, some choose to mingle in arty places and talk their way to the top. But as the wind changes and the art scene shifts like a huge, unpredictable tectonic plate, we find an increasing number of artists who have made a substantial name for themselves from meme factories such as Reddit (“the front page of the internet”).
Artist Valeriya Volkova is an internet sensation, and is receiving large sums of money for creating bespoke paintings, book covers and designs for fans. The picture below of the couple riding in the back of the pick-up truck driven by a T-Rex with a labrador on top? That was an engagement gift, commissioned by the husband of the lucky wife-to-be. Thinking about getting your wife a Magi-Mix to celebrate your fatal commitment? Stop where you are and get in contact with Valeriya immediately, you won’t regret it.
- Punk, printing, photography and type - February's Nicer Tuesdays tickets are now on sale!
- Gender politics, feminism and Kanye West – the world according to Vanessa Beecroft
- First Dates for those who create: London agency Form on their working relationship
- Air-brushed psychedelia and neon lights abound in Robert Beatty’s new work
- Jack Davison shoots parrots with PTSD for The New York Times Magazine
- Graphic design work to challenge and empower the reader
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- More salaciously surreal illustrations from French duo Mrzyk & Moriceau