Some artists choose to approach galleries to get their artwork seen, some choose to mingle in arty places and talk their way to the top. But as the wind changes and the art scene shifts like a huge, unpredictable tectonic plate, we find an increasing number of artists who have made a substantial name for themselves from meme factories such as Reddit (“the front page of the internet”).
Artist Valeriya Volkova is an internet sensation, and is receiving large sums of money for creating bespoke paintings, book covers and designs for fans. The picture below of the couple riding in the back of the pick-up truck driven by a T-Rex with a labrador on top? That was an engagement gift, commissioned by the husband of the lucky wife-to-be. Thinking about getting your wife a Magi-Mix to celebrate your fatal commitment? Stop where you are and get in contact with Valeriya immediately, you won’t regret it.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery