For the uninitiated the Tube can look like an inexplicable maze. But once you grasp Harry Beck’s iconic map, those chaotic lines form a manageable labyrinth. So goes the thinking behind London Underground’s biggest ever art commission: 270 permanent, unique artworks by Mark Wallinger soon to grace the walls of every Tube station.
The difference between a maze and a labyrinth is the latter has only one path. The crammed Tube commute may look like chaos, but all it is is millions of individuals taking daily, familiar journeys. Echoing the Tube’s ubiquitous blue and red roundels and emblazoned in the same enamel, Labyrinth’s black and white circles fit well on tiled platform walls. Their intricate brain-like patterns point towards the complex but organised network of the Underground and at each entrance is a red “You are Here” cross, an embarkation point for each passenger.
Today, 10 of the station artworks were revealed, the rest are to follow in the summer. In contributing to the rich, graphic language of the Underground, Wallinger joins an illustrious list of artists stretching back to the 1930s. He’s done the platform walls justice in 2013.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs