Damien Hirst, the grand old duke of modern British art, need only sneeze to plunge journalists, collectors and art aficionados everywhere into a right tizzy, so it’s no surprise his new sculptures at the Sotheby’s show at Chatsworth House have attracted a lot of attention. But alongside his elegantly anatomical pieces, there’s plenty of other really interesting work in the exhibition, as this slideshow proves.
Hirst’s two pieces Myth and Legend combine classical grandeur and visceral cross-section, in dramatic, soul-searching sculptures that sit above the magnificent grounds, both complementary and confrontational.
Elsewhere Takashi Murakami’s Flower Matango (A) uses his trademark eyes motif in a technicolour, organic explosion that sits beautifully in a neo-classical temple, Mark Quinn’s Burning Desire is a huge, psycho-sexual exploration of beauty and exotica, whose pulsating red petals are reflected in the lake it sits next to, and Nadim Karam’s totemic Desert Sand looks as though it is throwing down a challenge to the famous old house.
The exhibition is open until October 30, and every piece is for sale.
- Yayoi Kusama brings infinity and her iconic pumpkins to two stunning new London shows
- How I Got Here: Kim Gehrig, director
- Founder and creative director of ManvsMachine, Mike Alderson on his most-loved books
- From big cats to commuters, Reece Wykes creates characters using the subtlest of details
- Back to the Future: what today's creatives can learn from yesterday's design principles
- Moniker’s crisp and colourful laser cut posters for Designer Fund
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)