In 2006 comedians Owen Powell and Alex Horne set themselves the gruelling task of finding and meeting a citizen from every country in the world currently living and working in London. At the time there were 192 countries officially recognised by the UN – sadly Owen and Alex failed in their task (only by a margin of three) but helped prove to the world that London is one of the most culturally diverse cities out there.
Six years later the number of UN recognised countries stands at an intimidating 204 and there are still people trying to prove that each nationality has a representative in London. This time however the task is being placed in an artistic context rather than a comedic one with The Photographers Gallery inviting 204 different photographers to capture an individual from each nation. Excitingly they’ve now managed to find a Londoner from almost every country in the world (presumably some Tuvaluans have emigrated since Alex and Owen tried to find them) and the portraits are on display in central London until the end of the month, alongside narratives about each of the people photographed. If you’re not London -ased then you can still check out the portraits online using the link below (although based on recent discoveries it looks like everyone lives in London these days).
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery