In 2006 comedians Owen Powell and Alex Horne set themselves the gruelling task of finding and meeting a citizen from every country in the world currently living and working in London. At the time there were 192 countries officially recognised by the UN – sadly Owen and Alex failed in their task (only by a margin of three) but helped prove to the world that London is one of the most culturally diverse cities out there.
Six years later the number of UN recognised countries stands at an intimidating 204 and there are still people trying to prove that each nationality has a representative in London. This time however the task is being placed in an artistic context rather than a comedic one with The Photographers Gallery inviting 204 different photographers to capture an individual from each nation. Excitingly they’ve now managed to find a Londoner from almost every country in the world (presumably some Tuvaluans have emigrated since Alex and Owen tried to find them) and the portraits are on display in central London until the end of the month, alongside narratives about each of the people photographed. If you’re not London -ased then you can still check out the portraits online using the link below (although based on recent discoveries it looks like everyone lives in London these days).
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Kent Andreason's globetrotting adventures documented through nuanced observations
- Heroes and Villains: Rio 2016 through the eyes of Wilfrid Wood
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August