Manolo Blahnik is the man who heeled Sex And The City’s protagonist Carrie Bradshaw through dates, break-ups, proposals and er, muggings, so it’s only fair that Manolo got some screen time of his own.
Following a spar of recently launched and hugely successful feature-length fashion documentaries like Iris and Dior and I, the shoe designer has been granted his own film, directed by Michael Roberts. The trailer for the curiously-named Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards shows flashes of flamboyant footwear made by the designer. “I used to make shoes for lizards,” he laughs.
With interviews from a Met Gala-worthy list of stars including Anna Wintour (“I can’t remember the last time I wore anyone else’s shoes, I mean I just don’t even look at them!”), Paloma Picasso, Candace Bushnell, Jamie Preto, Rihanna and Naomi Campbell, the film is set to solidify Manolo’s icon status.
Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards will be released on 15 September in New York and LA on 15 September followed by a limited release in cities worldwide during September and October.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc