Originally guest posted by Andy J Miller
For my last post I wanted a true blast from my past. I remember right before I started school my older brother told me about The Letter People. He said that Mr. M with the Munching Mouth was his favourite and when we got to Mr. M in our lessons, he wanted me to get him one of the coloring book sheets. I am pretty sure the teacher wouldn’t let me have an extra, so I drew Mr. M for my brother instead.
I would say that may have been the starting point of my style and influence. I only remembered the letter people this year, but looking back there is truly a rich supply of great influence on my work in the Letter People. The link is to a hilarious and amazing Youtube video introducing Mr. N with his Noisy Nose!!!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting