KK Outlet welcome American artist/designer Keetra Dean Dixon to London for her first solo show, ’It’s All Around You All The Time’.
Opening tonight the work includes pieces aiming to lift the lid on the fantasies we live out in our head and in our everyday lives, as well other pieces that encourage the viewer to explore the ridiculous and lovely moments of a relationship. Nothing short of brilliant, the exhibition is high on the list of things to see this month. We interrupted Keetra earlier this week to find out more about the show.
In the best possible way you never quite know what to expect from Keetra Dean Dixon, first off can you tell us what we won’t be seeing?
What won’t be in the show covers a lot of ground! How about I give you a few things that you won’t be seeing, but I wish you would. A live interactive taffy pull, a space jam packed with 5 year olds moving in synch, and of course, an endless collection of baby animals covered in frosting.
So what we can expect from your first solo show at KKOutlet?
Hopefully you can expect to smile. You can absolutely expect to be molested by a sea foam, fleece swathed stranger should you choose to partake.
You’re regularly referred to as an Artist/Designer but what does it say on your business card?
My business card lists my name, phone, email & many tiny obscure symbols swiped from old school “spam” mail – but no title. Yet I do think a title matters, or rather, helps to inform. I tend to listen to the majority vote for my “professional” label. The given title is never an acting restraint, but it helps me understand and adjust the role I play as a maker.
You’ve enjoyed a fairly prolific three years since graduating, what have you got planned for the following three?
Thanks! My three post-grad school years have been hectic – I have barely had a moment to focus on the future. I just have a few scale shifting wishes. The next projects will be either GIANT or tinny tiny (PAPA BEAR & baby bear scale). Other than that I just want to keep on cranking!
Exhibition Runs 5—30 November 2009 at KK Outlet 42 Hoxton Square, London N1 6PB.
Keetra will also be presenting a talk on Friday 6 November at KK Outlet. Starting at 6.30pm it is free to attend, however places are limited. To book email Danielle at email@example.com stating how many places you would like to reserve.
- "Where’s my community?": Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- Jee-ook Choi conveys complex ideas using fine linework and muted colours
- Photographer Mehdi Lacoste on working with Actress
- French designer Victoire Coyon’s understated portfolio
- Unit Editions’ upcoming book on the unparalleled work of Paula Scher
- A creative composite of illustration: ten years of Christoph Ruckhäberle’s Lubok
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label