KK Outlet welcome American artist/designer Keetra Dean Dixon to London for her first solo show, ’It’s All Around You All The Time’.
Opening tonight the work includes pieces aiming to lift the lid on the fantasies we live out in our head and in our everyday lives, as well other pieces that encourage the viewer to explore the ridiculous and lovely moments of a relationship. Nothing short of brilliant, the exhibition is high on the list of things to see this month. We interrupted Keetra earlier this week to find out more about the show.
In the best possible way you never quite know what to expect from Keetra Dean Dixon, first off can you tell us what we won’t be seeing?
What won’t be in the show covers a lot of ground! How about I give you a few things that you won’t be seeing, but I wish you would. A live interactive taffy pull, a space jam packed with 5 year olds moving in synch, and of course, an endless collection of baby animals covered in frosting.
So what we can expect from your first solo show at KKOutlet?
Hopefully you can expect to smile. You can absolutely expect to be molested by a sea foam, fleece swathed stranger should you choose to partake.
You’re regularly referred to as an Artist/Designer but what does it say on your business card?
My business card lists my name, phone, email & many tiny obscure symbols swiped from old school “spam” mail – but no title. Yet I do think a title matters, or rather, helps to inform. I tend to listen to the majority vote for my “professional” label. The given title is never an acting restraint, but it helps me understand and adjust the role I play as a maker.
You’ve enjoyed a fairly prolific three years since graduating, what have you got planned for the following three?
Thanks! My three post-grad school years have been hectic – I have barely had a moment to focus on the future. I just have a few scale shifting wishes. The next projects will be either GIANT or tinny tiny (PAPA BEAR & baby bear scale). Other than that I just want to keep on cranking!
Exhibition Runs 5—30 November 2009 at KK Outlet 42 Hoxton Square, London N1 6PB.
Keetra will also be presenting a talk on Friday 6 November at KK Outlet. Starting at 6.30pm it is free to attend, however places are limited. To book email Danielle at email@example.com stating how many places you would like to reserve.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)