Created by independent Czech developers Amanita, Machinarium is a deceptively immersive point-and-click adventure game, notable not only for its pitch-perfect soundtrack but for the beautifully considered art direction. It is completely delightful and does great things for a medium often unfairly ignored or flat-out derided in design circles.
The first three stages can be trialled online, after which the full game can be bought (for both Mac/PC) which includes the wonderful Tomáš Dvořák soundtrack.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?