When we decided at the start of the year we wanted to curate a series of talks we had no idea that the generosity of Sense lay just around the corner. One of the biggest thanks of the year must go to Raj, Jhanne, Luke and everyone else at Sense for their fantastic hospitality. Here design director Raj Panjwani shares his 2009.
Raj’s image from 2009, “This is a picture I took on holiday in the far north west of Scotland. It was the perfect antidote to London. We caught our own lobster, crab and Pollack and cooked them on the beach. We kept thinking we were in some sickening Channel 4 lifestyle programme.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
A tough year that feels like it’s ending on a high of sorts. I’ll give it a 7.5 because I’m an optimist, although I think with more distance it may end up being a 6.
Best new discovery?
A pub off Holloway Road called The Landseer.
Not sure I’ve had one this year.
What were you doing this time last year?
I went down to Cornwall 3 days with the Sense ‘dad’ team to thrash out plan for the coming year. Then the year went a bit wonky but I think we made a bit of headway considering.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My mum’s computer. I sent it to someone else to fix.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Anish Kapoor’s exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
My family did. I didn’t.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Nothing, keep looking forward. The spring and the World Cup. C’mon.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery