When we decided at the start of the year we wanted to curate a series of talks we had no idea that the generosity of Sense lay just around the corner. One of the biggest thanks of the year must go to Raj, Jhanne, Luke and everyone else at Sense for their fantastic hospitality. Here design director Raj Panjwani shares his 2009.
Raj’s image from 2009, “This is a picture I took on holiday in the far north west of Scotland. It was the perfect antidote to London. We caught our own lobster, crab and Pollack and cooked them on the beach. We kept thinking we were in some sickening Channel 4 lifestyle programme.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
A tough year that feels like it’s ending on a high of sorts. I’ll give it a 7.5 because I’m an optimist, although I think with more distance it may end up being a 6.
Best new discovery?
A pub off Holloway Road called The Landseer.
Not sure I’ve had one this year.
What were you doing this time last year?
I went down to Cornwall 3 days with the Sense ‘dad’ team to thrash out plan for the coming year. Then the year went a bit wonky but I think we made a bit of headway considering.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My mum’s computer. I sent it to someone else to fix.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Anish Kapoor’s exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
My family did. I didn’t.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Nothing, keep looking forward. The spring and the World Cup. C’mon.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting