When we decided at the start of the year we wanted to curate a series of talks we had no idea that the generosity of Sense lay just around the corner. One of the biggest thanks of the year must go to Raj, Jhanne, Luke and everyone else at Sense for their fantastic hospitality. Here design director Raj Panjwani shares his 2009.
Raj’s image from 2009, “This is a picture I took on holiday in the far north west of Scotland. It was the perfect antidote to London. We caught our own lobster, crab and Pollack and cooked them on the beach. We kept thinking we were in some sickening Channel 4 lifestyle programme.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
A tough year that feels like it’s ending on a high of sorts. I’ll give it a 7.5 because I’m an optimist, although I think with more distance it may end up being a 6.
Best new discovery?
A pub off Holloway Road called The Landseer.
Not sure I’ve had one this year.
What were you doing this time last year?
I went down to Cornwall 3 days with the Sense ‘dad’ team to thrash out plan for the coming year. Then the year went a bit wonky but I think we made a bit of headway considering.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My mum’s computer. I sent it to someone else to fix.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Anish Kapoor’s exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
My family did. I didn’t.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Nothing, keep looking forward. The spring and the World Cup. C’mon.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design