As part of out 2009 Review today we have the fantastic Fred Butler contributing. As well as consistently producing amazing accessories, props and alike she also found time to write a feature for our second issue.
Fred’s image from 2009, “This year I discovered my muse. Our stars collided and together we have formed a cosmic constellation of unconscious creativity.Rowdy Superst*r is a choreographer, stylist, designer and musician. He is going to release his debut album in 2010 produced by Matthew Herbert which is going to be sensational. Watch this space, man!”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
10. 2009 has been an exceptional year… I was 29 on the 29th of March 09… Everything I’ve ever worked for has FINALLY paid off and I’ve ticked some important things on my life “to do list”. I found myself in No.10 Downing Street at the opening reception of the 25th anniversary for London Fashion Week in a room full of all my childhood idols and enjoyed sharing the experience with my friends and peers to revel in the moment… that was a dream that became a reality… so it doesn’t get much better than that.
Best new discovery?
Rosy Nicholas, she produces incredible screen prints, animations and props… she is hilarious and never fails to make me crack up… she always looks amazing and its never the same get-up twice which keeps me guessing…
To conciously try and combat my shyness… it’s a resolution that’s going to have to roll over to next year…
What were you doing this time last year?
Celebrating winning a place in New Gen for LFW A/W 09 and subsequently tripping out that I didn’t have enough time to make the collection I was being sponsored to show! I was 50% ecstatic and 50% terrified.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The boiler in my house…….more than once… twice… thrice… I am an expert at keeping warm running up and down stairs to make a shallow bath from heating 6 pans of water on rotation on an electric hob.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Alternative Miss World. The beauty contest set up by artist Andrew Logan in the 70s and returns once in a blue moon. It was held at The Roundhouse with a Bauhaus inspired set and costumes designed by Zandra Rhodes. All the contestants outfits were incredible and it was totally out of control.… ridiculous fun and visually stunning.
Did you get Swine Flu?
Self Diagnosed and dismissed so I didn’t miss a day’s work!
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I will miss being in my 20’s as I’ll turn 30 in 2010. Yikes! But I’m looking forward to more life! Every year just gets better and better so next year should be a corker! I love the growing network I am accumulating in London and getting to know amazing and inspiring individuals…
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s