Camberwell College of Arts graduate Joe Kessler is a 22 year old cartoonist who has spent the last three years studying illustration.
As an avid collector of comics since he was a young teenager Joe has recently completed the first chapter of Mwara no.1, a comic made with Reuben Mwaura. A 32 page, 3 colour comic it is available at various comic shops around London as well as on his website. Joe plans to continue making comics after graduating and will edit and publish an anthology in the next six months.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
In chronological order: Gamesworkshop employee, Pro footballer, Pro skateboarder, NBA All Star, Cartoonist.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
Bad. It was mostly indecipherable single page comics. In comparison to my foundation work it was great.
I hope that I will one day be able to look at my work three years after its made and not cringe.
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
I already gave a copy of my latest comic Mwara no.1 to Chris Ware but I’m not sure if he read it. It would be nice to be able to give Herge and Suiho Tagawa copies too, they have both been big influences for a long time. I’d also like to show Popeye & Olive Oyl my sketchbook drawings of them.
If you had your own studio, who would you share it with and why?
I’m just about to start a studio with my friend Tom Pearson. We plan to publish comics and prints under the name Rolling Sea (website coming soon). If I could employ anyone it might be John Kricfalusi as I’ve watched all his episodes of Ren & Stimpy many times. It would be good to see some new stuff. I could also employ Archer Prewitt and force him to make more Sof’boy comics.
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
Colours for my new printer and a slap-up grill.
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Riding bareback through country meadows on my stallion and wearing nothing but a turquoise jerkin, my long golden curls flowing in the gentle breeze.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)