Originally from the well-known town of Headley Down in Hampshire, Tom Edwards has just graduated from the University of Brighton with a noteworthy illustration portfolio.
Having fallen into illustration by accident, Tom only decided to study a foundation year after not knowing what to do and later applied to Brighton where he has spent the next three years. When Tom’s not illustration he can be found browsing the internet, in particular his favourite site, truelad.com.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
When I was young I wanted to be a footballer for Queens Park Rangers, I designed my own kit for them and sent it to the club, got a signed shirt in return. I was also heavily into skateboarding, but my dream of being amazing was never realised. I never thought about being an illustrator, I didn’t even know what illustration was until I did foundation.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
My first year work is a bit of a mixed bag, there are things that I still like but then there are others that are pretty rubbish. For example I did a project about the life of a cow, which I thought was great, but in hindsight it’s actually terrible. I’d say my work has changed a fair bit, especially from foundation, as I never used to draw anything.
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
I’d like to show my Royal Society piece to the 12 founding members of the society, however they are all dead. But I think it would be great to see what somebody from 350 years ago would say about it.
If you had your own studio, who would you share it with and why?
I’d share my studio with a hairdresser so I could get free haircuts!
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Well I’m planning on staying in Brighton for a while longer, but after that I don’t know where I will be! Work wise I’d like to finish a book of stories about a mischievous cat that I started earlier this year and finish an illustrated book of poems that I’m working on with my sister. But most of all I would like to of design a skateboard.
- Tomáš Kral’s nostalgic 3D short slapstick dragon slaying animation series
- Russia-based Max Litvinov's experimental animations are a delight
- More weird and wonderful work from Wonder Room
- Bruch creates a simple and type-based identity for Quer
- Intimacy, underwear and internet pop-ups in VLF Studio's slick redesign of Under the Influence
- A personal portrait of street life in Casablanca from photographer Yoriyas
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- More bonkers and surreal selfies from Izumi Miyazaki
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web