Originally from the well-known town of Headley Down in Hampshire, Tom Edwards has just graduated from the University of Brighton with a noteworthy illustration portfolio.
Having fallen into illustration by accident, Tom only decided to study a foundation year after not knowing what to do and later applied to Brighton where he has spent the next three years. When Tom’s not illustration he can be found browsing the internet, in particular his favourite site, truelad.com.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
When I was young I wanted to be a footballer for Queens Park Rangers, I designed my own kit for them and sent it to the club, got a signed shirt in return. I was also heavily into skateboarding, but my dream of being amazing was never realised. I never thought about being an illustrator, I didn’t even know what illustration was until I did foundation.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
My first year work is a bit of a mixed bag, there are things that I still like but then there are others that are pretty rubbish. For example I did a project about the life of a cow, which I thought was great, but in hindsight it’s actually terrible. I’d say my work has changed a fair bit, especially from foundation, as I never used to draw anything.
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
I’d like to show my Royal Society piece to the 12 founding members of the society, however they are all dead. But I think it would be great to see what somebody from 350 years ago would say about it.
If you had your own studio, who would you share it with and why?
I’d share my studio with a hairdresser so I could get free haircuts!
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Well I’m planning on staying in Brighton for a while longer, but after that I don’t know where I will be! Work wise I’d like to finish a book of stories about a mischievous cat that I started earlier this year and finish an illustrated book of poems that I’m working on with my sister. But most of all I would like to of design a skateboard.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s