Originally from north London, Anna Brooks grew up in Brighton before moving to Kingston to study. Not wanting to study just graphic design as she wasn’t sure exactly what it entailed Anna decided to study the graphic design and photography at Kingston University. She is also the other half to the Class Portrait project we featured yesterday in collaboration with Samantha Harvey.
When it comes to work Anna gets frustrated sitting at a computer and would much rather be out an about getting inspiration from people, places and things.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I wanted to be a dancer up until I was given a camera in year 10 and realised I couldn’t dance too well.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
At the time I thought it was pretty good… However it cost me a grand total of £2.80 to print the whole thing, 40 p per A3 laser print if i think i remember correctly done in the uni library. What more could you ask for in a portfolio!?
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
Maybe I would show the Fallen Constellations to Galileo and see if he would humour us on our depiction of stars.
If you had your own studio, who would you share it with and why?
If it were possible I would love to work again in a studio with lots of my Kingston peers. Realistically however I would love to work in a place/studio environment where each member of a small team contributed a different discipline and together formed an interesting collective of people and work. A place full of inspiration and fun.
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
I owe my dad a belated birthday present which I didn’t get him during New blood! uh oh.
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Hopefully driving somewhere nice for the weekend (I’m finally learning to drive at the moment) after finishing a long productive week somewhere in a design or photography studio.
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Clément Le Tulle-Neyret's considered approach to Strange Designs
- Manita Songserm disregards the rules to create unruly and intriguing work
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?