I recently stumbled upon the work of Ann Toebbe on the ‘depressingly awesome’ Reference Library and thank goodness I did. What the paintings and collages lack in perspective they make up for in colour, tone, texture and genuine feeling that people live in these spaces. Each one quickly stops looking like a flat pack and becomes a three dimensional space in which you are taken around every single detail and arrangement…
Not able to stop at one, I’ve included a small cross-section of Toebbe’s portfolio.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again