In November, It’s Nice That hosted a onedotzero evening at the BFI, and asked Roel to come along and talk about pretty much whatever he wanted. He did, with genuine articulacy, passion, intelligence, etc. His work is the sort that inspires, provokes reactive thoughts, and downright impresses.
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
What broke? How did you fix it?
My habit not to procrastinate broke. Me and Jonathan fixed it with a to do list. (See image.)
What was the best thing you saw this year?
What was your favourite day of the year?
The day we left for holiday, I just got my driving license and we headed for summer holiday in France.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Things are getting serious. Especially with my female friends. They get depressed or burnt-out or seriously ill. My government is loosing it as well. Our famous cultural climate is about to be ruined, squatting is declared illegal and tolerance towards immigrants is zero.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Best man/woman of the year?
That the relatively small group WikiLeaks dared to stand up against such a powerful entity as the US government in their quest for transparency. Apart from the accusations or possible consequences I thought that was so brave! Inspiring.
Your finest moment?
The day i found out that there is still innovation
in the world of makeup.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
The photography from Uta Eisenreich I bought for my love.
What would you like to say to 2010?
If 2010 was a painting of a disappointed horse I would say: “I can see the disappointment, I can see the frustration, but I can also sense a flicker of hope that things may get better for this horse!”
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc