In November, It’s Nice That hosted a onedotzero evening at the BFI, and asked Roel to come along and talk about pretty much whatever he wanted. He did, with genuine articulacy, passion, intelligence, etc. His work is the sort that inspires, provokes reactive thoughts, and downright impresses.
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
What broke? How did you fix it?
My habit not to procrastinate broke. Me and Jonathan fixed it with a to do list. (See image.)
What was the best thing you saw this year?
What was your favourite day of the year?
The day we left for holiday, I just got my driving license and we headed for summer holiday in France.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Things are getting serious. Especially with my female friends. They get depressed or burnt-out or seriously ill. My government is loosing it as well. Our famous cultural climate is about to be ruined, squatting is declared illegal and tolerance towards immigrants is zero.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Best man/woman of the year?
That the relatively small group WikiLeaks dared to stand up against such a powerful entity as the US government in their quest for transparency. Apart from the accusations or possible consequences I thought that was so brave! Inspiring.
Your finest moment?
The day i found out that there is still innovation
in the world of makeup.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
The photography from Uta Eisenreich I bought for my love.
What would you like to say to 2010?
If 2010 was a painting of a disappointed horse I would say: “I can see the disappointment, I can see the frustration, but I can also sense a flicker of hope that things may get better for this horse!”
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round