In November, It’s Nice That hosted a onedotzero evening at the BFI, and asked Roel to come along and talk about pretty much whatever he wanted. He did, with genuine articulacy, passion, intelligence, etc. His work is the sort that inspires, provokes reactive thoughts, and downright impresses.
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
What broke? How did you fix it?
My habit not to procrastinate broke. Me and Jonathan fixed it with a to do list. (See image.)
What was the best thing you saw this year?
What was your favourite day of the year?
The day we left for holiday, I just got my driving license and we headed for summer holiday in France.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Things are getting serious. Especially with my female friends. They get depressed or burnt-out or seriously ill. My government is loosing it as well. Our famous cultural climate is about to be ruined, squatting is declared illegal and tolerance towards immigrants is zero.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Best man/woman of the year?
That the relatively small group WikiLeaks dared to stand up against such a powerful entity as the US government in their quest for transparency. Apart from the accusations or possible consequences I thought that was so brave! Inspiring.
Your finest moment?
The day i found out that there is still innovation
in the world of makeup.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
The photography from Uta Eisenreich I bought for my love.
What would you like to say to 2010?
If 2010 was a painting of a disappointed horse I would say: “I can see the disappointment, I can see the frustration, but I can also sense a flicker of hope that things may get better for this horse!”
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- David Wilson directs deeply moving film B.E.N. about using AI robots to tackle loneliness
- Art and About: Charlotte Trounce celebrates the architectural beauty of museums and galleries
- Riikka Laakso’s screenprinted zine is a tribute to Moomin author Tove Jansson
- Sandy Van Helden’s illustrations of contemporary culture
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Juan Aballe’s photographs of pastoral landscapes filled with wanderlust
- Exclusive first interview with new UK Vice.com editor Jamie Clifton