Kris Moyes’ work is some of the most exciting, innovative and compelling moving image out there. He’s worked for countless big names including Beck and Sia and no matter who he’s shooting or what the subject is, you can always tell it’s him. That’s why I was so intrigued to hear that he is currently exhibiting a set of experimental photographs as part of ‘Glory Holes’ at the Monster Children Gallery in Australia.
I’ve previously read that while studying Kris found ‘the gallery environment constrictive’, (from Directors Bureau) which is the main reason he turned to shooting video. So, it should come as no surprise that he’s not just hanging run of the mill pieces in standard frames. Instead he’s flipping the canvas 45 degrees, using such a simple device to give his work a magic quality.
His subject matter comes from mixing unexpected liquids together and capturing the results as a high gloss close up snapshot. The results are a mesmerizing set of photographs with cheekily aloof titles. Just when you thought Mr.Moyes was getting all serious on us he’s decided to dub his creations ‘Mystical Testical’, ‘Milky Patch’ and ‘Pretty Good Blue Cloud’, and that’s just to name a few.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”