Proving eclecticism and craftsmanship are not mutually exclusive, 56th Studio is a brand-new design outfit debuting three collections of unexpected furniture and products in Milan.
Winning metaphorical medals in every conceivable way is Caricature Chairs, a creative hijacking project that pulls popular culture icons, reduces them to a sum of their fundamental features and turns them into a functional and communicative objects. “Form follows story,” they say, and what could possibly be better than telling everyone your dining room set is the Simpsons family? Nothing.
Check out the rest of their portfolio for more of the same, but never same-y, fun and graphical object design.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?