Proving eclecticism and craftsmanship are not mutually exclusive, 56th Studio is a brand-new design outfit debuting three collections of unexpected furniture and products in Milan.
Winning metaphorical medals in every conceivable way is Caricature Chairs, a creative hijacking project that pulls popular culture icons, reduces them to a sum of their fundamental features and turns them into a functional and communicative objects. “Form follows story,” they say, and what could possibly be better than telling everyone your dining room set is the Simpsons family? Nothing.
Check out the rest of their portfolio for more of the same, but never same-y, fun and graphical object design.
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)