Daniel Britt is an animator, graduating from Kingston University on the Illustration and Animation BA. He’s currently finishing his graduation film, ‘The Lost Coin’ , which he’s spent the last 4 months working on with friend Joe Pelling. His work ticks both the ‘good idea’ and ‘execution’ box which is a bit of a rarity and why we’ve decided to let you know a little more about him…
Daniel is currently getting ready for his degree show Fresh Meat which is up at Shoreditch Town Hall from June 17 -21. When he’s not animating he helps edit a zine called ‘This Is It’ and play the vocoder and guitar in a band called Sheeps
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I think i wanted to be a paleontologist, probably because of Jurassic Park. I didn’t try animation until I was doing my A-levels, when I decided that was what I wanted to do.
In reflection, how bad was your work in the first year?
Well I hope its improved! They pushed us pretty hard with technical drawing stuff in the first year, and I wasn’t used to it. I eventually found my own way of doing things though.
If you could show a piece of your folio to one person, what piece would you choose, and who would you show it to?
This is a hard one, I guess anyone who would enjoy it, and possibly employ me to do more stuff like it.
If you had your own business, who would you employ and why?
I would employ all my friends, so I would enjoy going to work there, and I would employ the musician/animator Chad Vangaalen, because his films are amazing. Also Bruce Bickford and Vince Collins would be great to work with.
If you’ve got any left, what will you spend the last of your student loan on?
Where will we find you in 12 months?
Working in animation, doing projects with the collective I work with called This Is It. Hopefully doing fun jobs and meeting nice people.
- Take the Jack Sachs animated tour of the Tate Britain, and meet his odd CG characters along the way
- The effortlessly lovely hand-drawn illustrations of Paula Bulling
- Kii Monroe Arens' delicious gig posters
- Alex Paulus’ paintings are full of misshapen characters in odd situations
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- Carmel Buckley and Mark Harris dissect the album covers of calypso singer Mighty Sparrow
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich