We’re pretty keen on the work of Aussie designers A Friend of Mine; their holistic approach to design has been yielding consistently great results for almost three years now and spans a range of disciplines, taking in retail design, branding, web design and even the occasional spot of weaving. It’s an admirable quality in a studio to approach each project with fresh eyes and an open approach to new media.
That said we’re pretty enamoured with their recent work for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority’s VCE Season of Excellence which takes quite a traditional, but very bold, approach to the branding, print collateral and exhibition design of the event. The identity takes inspiration from folded and pleated paper, abstracting the geometric forms from the folds and providing a multi-faceted pattern that communicates the variety of work on display. The event signage is manifested as a three-dimensional rendering of the pleated paper that meanders over the walls of the exhibition space, marking each section of the show with its own signature colour.
The rest of A Friend of Mine’s portfolio is also well worth at least a few minutes out of your day. Go forth and enjoy!
- Elliott Arndt, an upcoming director with narrative flair
- Scott King, Roger Hiorns and Tom Morton discuss provocation for new book The Creative Stance
- Flaneur explores the magic of Moscow in its biggest issue yet
- Brooklyn illustrator Ping Zhu and her breezy brushstrokes full of energy
- Irreconcilable Truths: a 1500-page survey of legendary photographer Don McCullin’s work
- Rob Flowers, Roberto Rosolin, Liv Siddall and Greg Barth at Nicer Tuesdays October
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design