We’re pretty keen on the work of Aussie designers A Friend of Mine; their holistic approach to design has been yielding consistently great results for almost three years now and spans a range of disciplines, taking in retail design, branding, web design and even the occasional spot of weaving. It’s an admirable quality in a studio to approach each project with fresh eyes and an open approach to new media.
That said we’re pretty enamoured with their recent work for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority’s VCE Season of Excellence which takes quite a traditional, but very bold, approach to the branding, print collateral and exhibition design of the event. The identity takes inspiration from folded and pleated paper, abstracting the geometric forms from the folds and providing a multi-faceted pattern that communicates the variety of work on display. The event signage is manifested as a three-dimensional rendering of the pleated paper that meanders over the walls of the exhibition space, marking each section of the show with its own signature colour.
The rest of A Friend of Mine’s portfolio is also well worth at least a few minutes out of your day. Go forth and enjoy!
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August