We’re pretty keen on the work of Aussie designers A Friend of Mine; their holistic approach to design has been yielding consistently great results for almost three years now and spans a range of disciplines, taking in retail design, branding, web design and even the occasional spot of weaving. It’s an admirable quality in a studio to approach each project with fresh eyes and an open approach to new media.
That said we’re pretty enamoured with their recent work for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority’s VCE Season of Excellence which takes quite a traditional, but very bold, approach to the branding, print collateral and exhibition design of the event. The identity takes inspiration from folded and pleated paper, abstracting the geometric forms from the folds and providing a multi-faceted pattern that communicates the variety of work on display. The event signage is manifested as a three-dimensional rendering of the pleated paper that meanders over the walls of the exhibition space, marking each section of the show with its own signature colour.
The rest of A Friend of Mine’s portfolio is also well worth at least a few minutes out of your day. Go forth and enjoy!
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc