We’re pretty keen on the work of Aussie designers A Friend of Mine; their holistic approach to design has been yielding consistently great results for almost three years now and spans a range of disciplines, taking in retail design, branding, web design and even the occasional spot of weaving. It’s an admirable quality in a studio to approach each project with fresh eyes and an open approach to new media.
That said we’re pretty enamoured with their recent work for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority’s VCE Season of Excellence which takes quite a traditional, but very bold, approach to the branding, print collateral and exhibition design of the event. The identity takes inspiration from folded and pleated paper, abstracting the geometric forms from the folds and providing a multi-faceted pattern that communicates the variety of work on display. The event signage is manifested as a three-dimensional rendering of the pleated paper that meanders over the walls of the exhibition space, marking each section of the show with its own signature colour.
The rest of A Friend of Mine’s portfolio is also well worth at least a few minutes out of your day. Go forth and enjoy!
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Biel defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs