It was way back in 2008 that we first championed brilliant Japanese designer Yuri Suzuki whose work fuses technological know-how and quirky ideas with playful, thought-provoking results. Over the years he’s gone from strength to strength, whether it’s creating superb personal work like the Three Radio Theremin, bizarre commissioned pieces for big brands (like the Red Stripe sound system made from recycled Notting Hill Carnival beer cans) or being chosen as one of the Design Museum’s Designers in Residence last year.
We’re delighted to see Yuri notch up another milestone in his impressive career with the publication of his first book. Designed by the ever-excellent Åbäke and edited by producer Yoichi Nakamuta, The B-Side of Onomatopeic Music (BOOM) is a collection of visualisations of Yuri’s various soundscapes with contributions from the likes of Momus, Tim Hunkin, DMX Krew and Maywadenki. It’s really great to see an artist like Yuri have his talents translated into print in such a creative way, where the temptation may have been simply to document his process. Instead this collection focusses on the reactions his work inspires and the feelings it provokes, which makes for a much more interesting book.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant