I don’t know Alicia Meseguer but based on her work I really wish I did because it’s cool, interesting and unusual. The Murcia-based creative who studied at the Orihuela art school boasts a portfolio which takes in art, photography and graphic design but whatever she turns her talents to the ability to pique the viewer’s interest remains. I like her stripped back identities for hip clients like DJs, indie groups and digital art magazines which reflect a less-is-more confidence in the power of monochrome.
But it’s her collage work that really gets the pulse quickening – a series of strange, beautiful and compelling images which demonstrate a similar restraint to her branding work, particularly compared to some very busy pieces favoured by her contemporaries. They contain fleeting whispers of the way bodies are presented and perceived, how airbrush redux skews our ideas of female form and how in the heat of sexual intensity lovers construct their own versions of their partners. It’s thought-provoking without being obvious though, leaving room for individual interpretation which again points to a creative talent at peace with their ideas.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery