There’s something really about coming across a creative talent who has a discernible visual style but is also flexible enough to work across a host of briefs and that’s a description that certainly applies to Rafafans.
The Madrid-based artist and designer has a particular penchant for collage, that artform which can sometimes teeter precariously between the sublime and the ridiculous. But in Rafafans’ hands (easy for you to say) it’s a real joy with shapes, textures and colours spliced together to create intriguing, powerful images which seem to sear themselves onto our subconscious.
His portfolio includes more traditional graphic design too as well as fanzines, editorial spreads, murals and the occasional foray into celebrity portraiture but throughout it all his faultless eye for composition and combination leave you wanting more. And citing as he does influences ranging from Mondigliani and Paul Auster to The Smiths, the diversity of his creative inspiration should ensure Rafafans continues to dazzle and delight in equal measure.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery