There’s something really about coming across a creative talent who has a discernible visual style but is also flexible enough to work across a host of briefs and that’s a description that certainly applies to Rafafans.
The Madrid-based artist and designer has a particular penchant for collage, that artform which can sometimes teeter precariously between the sublime and the ridiculous. But in Rafafans’ hands (easy for you to say) it’s a real joy with shapes, textures and colours spliced together to create intriguing, powerful images which seem to sear themselves onto our subconscious.
His portfolio includes more traditional graphic design too as well as fanzines, editorial spreads, murals and the occasional foray into celebrity portraiture but throughout it all his faultless eye for composition and combination leave you wanting more. And citing as he does influences ranging from Mondigliani and Paul Auster to The Smiths, the diversity of his creative inspiration should ensure Rafafans continues to dazzle and delight in equal measure.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting