There’s something really about coming across a creative talent who has a discernible visual style but is also flexible enough to work across a host of briefs and that’s a description that certainly applies to Rafafans.
The Madrid-based artist and designer has a particular penchant for collage, that artform which can sometimes teeter precariously between the sublime and the ridiculous. But in Rafafans’ hands (easy for you to say) it’s a real joy with shapes, textures and colours spliced together to create intriguing, powerful images which seem to sear themselves onto our subconscious.
His portfolio includes more traditional graphic design too as well as fanzines, editorial spreads, murals and the occasional foray into celebrity portraiture but throughout it all his faultless eye for composition and combination leave you wanting more. And citing as he does influences ranging from Mondigliani and Paul Auster to The Smiths, the diversity of his creative inspiration should ensure Rafafans continues to dazzle and delight in equal measure.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos