There’s something really about coming across a creative talent who has a discernible visual style but is also flexible enough to work across a host of briefs and that’s a description that certainly applies to Rafafans.
The Madrid-based artist and designer has a particular penchant for collage, that artform which can sometimes teeter precariously between the sublime and the ridiculous. But in Rafafans’ hands (easy for you to say) it’s a real joy with shapes, textures and colours spliced together to create intriguing, powerful images which seem to sear themselves onto our subconscious.
His portfolio includes more traditional graphic design too as well as fanzines, editorial spreads, murals and the occasional foray into celebrity portraiture but throughout it all his faultless eye for composition and combination leave you wanting more. And citing as he does influences ranging from Mondigliani and Paul Auster to The Smiths, the diversity of his creative inspiration should ensure Rafafans continues to dazzle and delight in equal measure.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Poised for greatness: Gustl the dog as photographed by proud owner Lukas Wassmann
- Should account handlers and project managers be awarded like creatives?
- Graphic designer Kristoffer Halse Sølling navigates the power play between customer and superstore
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016
- What do you do if your design agency fails? One designer and ex-agency owner's support and advice
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood