There’s something really about coming across a creative talent who has a discernible visual style but is also flexible enough to work across a host of briefs and that’s a description that certainly applies to Rafafans.
The Madrid-based artist and designer has a particular penchant for collage, that artform which can sometimes teeter precariously between the sublime and the ridiculous. But in Rafafans’ hands (easy for you to say) it’s a real joy with shapes, textures and colours spliced together to create intriguing, powerful images which seem to sear themselves onto our subconscious.
His portfolio includes more traditional graphic design too as well as fanzines, editorial spreads, murals and the occasional foray into celebrity portraiture but throughout it all his faultless eye for composition and combination leave you wanting more. And citing as he does influences ranging from Mondigliani and Paul Auster to The Smiths, the diversity of his creative inspiration should ensure Rafafans continues to dazzle and delight in equal measure.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Envisions collective, breaking down the boundaries of design
- Zsofia Schweger’s paintings depict her Hungarian home frozen in time
- Illustrator Nuno Maria’s fresh aesthetic and smooth shapes rework ordinary objects
- A cookbook inspired by Brad Pitt's on-screen eating habits
- Uganda’s boisterous nightlife as captured by photographer Michele Sibiloni
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August