When you hear the word “hydroponics” you probably think immediately of clinking bongs and thick smoke… not Pentagram, one of the world’s most renowned design studios. But prepare to be bizarrely surprised (and also pretty delighted) by the agency’s most recent work for Advanced Nutrients, the USA’s leading producer of hydroponic growth supplements.
Hydroponics, for those unschooled in indoor botany, is the practice of growing plants in liquid under high-intensity UV lights, usually associated with the medicinal (and recreational) marijuana market. Advanced Nutrients’ products are seemingly for all types of indoor growing, herbs and vegetables included, though with product names like Sensi Bloom, Big Bud and Kushie Kush it’s hard to shake off that Dazed and Confused vibe.
Pentagram worked with illustrator Marc Burckhardt to create a custom mascot for each unique product, pairing these with some pretty unusual typography and gaudy graphic elements. Regardless of your personal design preferences (though everyone should be pretty sold on the smiling green bud) what definitely makes this work stand out is Pentagram’s radical departure from any discernible comfort zone, dropping a typically clean and accesible approach to design in favour of something totally far out.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos