When you hear the word “hydroponics” you probably think immediately of clinking bongs and thick smoke… not Pentagram, one of the world’s most renowned design studios. But prepare to be bizarrely surprised (and also pretty delighted) by the agency’s most recent work for Advanced Nutrients, the USA’s leading producer of hydroponic growth supplements.
Hydroponics, for those unschooled in indoor botany, is the practice of growing plants in liquid under high-intensity UV lights, usually associated with the medicinal (and recreational) marijuana market. Advanced Nutrients’ products are seemingly for all types of indoor growing, herbs and vegetables included, though with product names like Sensi Bloom, Big Bud and Kushie Kush it’s hard to shake off that Dazed and Confused vibe.
Pentagram worked with illustrator Marc Burckhardt to create a custom mascot for each unique product, pairing these with some pretty unusual typography and gaudy graphic elements. Regardless of your personal design preferences (though everyone should be pretty sold on the smiling green bud) what definitely makes this work stand out is Pentagram’s radical departure from any discernible comfort zone, dropping a typically clean and accesible approach to design in favour of something totally far out.
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality