“There are nine million bicycles in Beijing, that’s a fact,” sang Katie Melua a few years ago showing a blatant disregard for the meaning of the word fact. But here’s a Chinese-linked bicycle fact for for you, there are 760 bicycles in Ai Weiwei’s latest sculpture at the Galleria Continua in San Gimignano, Italy. The extraordinary walk-through piece on a raised stage in the gallery references some of the iconic artist’s previous work and questions our relationship with mobility, consumerism and mass manufacture. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Melua!
Mostre in Corso runs until February 16.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery