Science, we keep being told, is the new rock and roll, and trend forecasters LSN Global believe our culture’s thirst for these ideas is only going to accelerate. An apt time then to come across the work of Alejandro Guijarro, a photographer who graduated from the Royal College of Art in 2010 and has been putting together his ongoing Momentum series ever since.
Alejandro visited some of the places where quantum mechanics is explored and investigated by the best brains in the business – CERN in Switzerland, Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, Stanford and UC Berkeley in the USA – and photographed the blackboards as he found them in these august institutions.
The results are really striking, removed from their context and the mind-bogglingly complex ideas they illustrate, we are left to enjoy these images on a purely aesthetic level, marvelling at the interplay between line, colour and form. Some still bear every scrawl the lecturer has made, with words and diagrams and equations chasing each other across the surface, but others have been cleaned, leaving only whispy fragments of the intense investigations that once existed.
As Alejandro says: “These are not works that pretend to hold any kind of objective truth. Stripped of their wrapping they are photographs of large drawings! Yet the process of finding, documenting and collecting them has a transmutational effect.”
- Cheer Up Luv: the photography project sharing womens' experiences with sexual harassment
- “Bold, concise, minimalist and sometimes abstract”: a look at Jeong Hwa Min’s new illustrative approach
- Patrik Mollwing’s illustrations and wigglegrams depict a cast of colourful characters
- Between the pages of Polanski’s suburbia-themed sixth issue
- Hacking Heidelberg: how Erik Spiekermann came to reinvent the printing process
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU