Funny how something that could be so easily overlooked in the real world can whip around the internet and be witnessed by thousands faster than you can say “disused factory.” Alex Chinneck, the brains behind charming conceptual sculptures such as Self-Employed – a circular chimney blowing smoke back into itself, and Fighting Fire with Ice Cream – an enormous piece of chipboard that has been painstakingly coloured-in, has recently completed his latest and largest piece to date: Telling the Truth Through False Teeth. Chinneck has taken a disused warehouse in Hackney and removed all the windows, replacing them with identically smashed panes of glass, creating an almost kaleidoscopic, double-take inducing element of beauty to a building that was, previously, probably completely overlooked.
Chinneck’s other pieces are equally as charming. Working primarily with unmalleable mediums and bending them out of their usual state, Chinneck’s work almost always tells a tale of success in proving something wrong, followed by an almost bitter aftertaste of realisation of how insignificant these tiny victories are. Go and catch this extraordinary sight while you can, then sit tight and wait to see what genius sculpture he comes up with next.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting