Funny how something that could be so easily overlooked in the real world can whip around the internet and be witnessed by thousands faster than you can say “disused factory.” Alex Chinneck, the brains behind charming conceptual sculptures such as Self-Employed – a circular chimney blowing smoke back into itself, and Fighting Fire with Ice Cream – an enormous piece of chipboard that has been painstakingly coloured-in, has recently completed his latest and largest piece to date: Telling the Truth Through False Teeth. Chinneck has taken a disused warehouse in Hackney and removed all the windows, replacing them with identically smashed panes of glass, creating an almost kaleidoscopic, double-take inducing element of beauty to a building that was, previously, probably completely overlooked.
Chinneck’s other pieces are equally as charming. Working primarily with unmalleable mediums and bending them out of their usual state, Chinneck’s work almost always tells a tale of success in proving something wrong, followed by an almost bitter aftertaste of realisation of how insignificant these tiny victories are. Go and catch this extraordinary sight while you can, then sit tight and wait to see what genius sculpture he comes up with next.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant