Funny how something that could be so easily overlooked in the real world can whip around the internet and be witnessed by thousands faster than you can say “disused factory.” Alex Chinneck, the brains behind charming conceptual sculptures such as Self-Employed – a circular chimney blowing smoke back into itself, and Fighting Fire with Ice Cream – an enormous piece of chipboard that has been painstakingly coloured-in, has recently completed his latest and largest piece to date: Telling the Truth Through False Teeth. Chinneck has taken a disused warehouse in Hackney and removed all the windows, replacing them with identically smashed panes of glass, creating an almost kaleidoscopic, double-take inducing element of beauty to a building that was, previously, probably completely overlooked.
Chinneck’s other pieces are equally as charming. Working primarily with unmalleable mediums and bending them out of their usual state, Chinneck’s work almost always tells a tale of success in proving something wrong, followed by an almost bitter aftertaste of realisation of how insignificant these tiny victories are. Go and catch this extraordinary sight while you can, then sit tight and wait to see what genius sculpture he comes up with next.
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality