In this strange old world it is often the case that we owe a ridiculous amount to chance. After all, Cornflakes were discovered purely by accident (true story) and as my trusty staple to the daily trauma that is getting up, it doesn’t even bear to imagine a world without them.
It is the same old story for talented artist Alex Russell Flint who after a stint at a tiny illustration school and in a what-on-earth-do-I-do-now sort of patch of his life randomly stumbled upon a postcard of one of Ted James’ paintings. Duly inspired, his 20-year-old self packed his bags enrolled himself at Ted’s art school and headed to a tiny village in France – the rest is pretty much history!
Flourishing from that day into a pretty spectacular artist, Alex now specialises in grand oil paintings. With moody sweeping colour tones and focusing on the female form, his portraits combine the modern looking subjects with classic and traditional associations. And with his work recently showcased at London’s Horsebox Gallery, we bet we won’t be the only ones glad of his chance encounter with that little postcard….
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc