In this strange old world it is often the case that we owe a ridiculous amount to chance. After all, Cornflakes were discovered purely by accident (true story) and as my trusty staple to the daily trauma that is getting up, it doesn’t even bear to imagine a world without them.
It is the same old story for talented artist Alex Russell Flint who after a stint at a tiny illustration school and in a what-on-earth-do-I-do-now sort of patch of his life randomly stumbled upon a postcard of one of Ted James’ paintings. Duly inspired, his 20-year-old self packed his bags enrolled himself at Ted’s art school and headed to a tiny village in France – the rest is pretty much history!
Flourishing from that day into a pretty spectacular artist, Alex now specialises in grand oil paintings. With moody sweeping colour tones and focusing on the female form, his portraits combine the modern looking subjects with classic and traditional associations. And with his work recently showcased at London’s Horsebox Gallery, we bet we won’t be the only ones glad of his chance encounter with that little postcard….
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)