It’s always nice to check out a new typeface but it can be frustrating trying to picture it in context. That’s why it was such a pleasure to see Barcelona-based designer Alex Trochut’s new Trojan font for Wallpaper*’s fashion edition and flick through some spreads and see how the minimalist twist on Roman lettering bears up in the real world.
As you’d expect from a designer with Alex’s reputation, the outcome is very impressive. Wallpaper* art director Meirion Pritchard said: “With our September issue showcasing beautiful and diverse pieces from gothic foundations, masculine brutalist identities to holy Madonnas, Trochut’s personalised bespoke lettering was the perfect fit.”
And Alex believes the hand-rendered element is a crucial weapon in the arsenal of the modern typeface designer. “I believe letters are like a mirror of the time in which we live,” he said. ‘"That’s why I think the human touch in writing is so relevant at the moment. We left the last decade with debts and no human values. We’re not looking for the slick surface anymore; we’re looking for content and authenticity, based on the past, personality and genuine identities.
“That’s why lettering and calligraphy are perfect for our present times, because they’re about celebrating nature and the beauty of imperfection.”
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant