It’s always nice to check out a new typeface but it can be frustrating trying to picture it in context. That’s why it was such a pleasure to see Barcelona-based designer Alex Trochut’s new Trojan font for Wallpaper*’s fashion edition and flick through some spreads and see how the minimalist twist on Roman lettering bears up in the real world.
As you’d expect from a designer with Alex’s reputation, the outcome is very impressive. Wallpaper* art director Meirion Pritchard said: “With our September issue showcasing beautiful and diverse pieces from gothic foundations, masculine brutalist identities to holy Madonnas, Trochut’s personalised bespoke lettering was the perfect fit.”
And Alex believes the hand-rendered element is a crucial weapon in the arsenal of the modern typeface designer. “I believe letters are like a mirror of the time in which we live,” he said. ‘"That’s why I think the human touch in writing is so relevant at the moment. We left the last decade with debts and no human values. We’re not looking for the slick surface anymore; we’re looking for content and authenticity, based on the past, personality and genuine identities.
“That’s why lettering and calligraphy are perfect for our present times, because they’re about celebrating nature and the beauty of imperfection.”
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- A magazine that tells stories of life, from everywhere and anywhere
- Effortlessly sleek art direction from Paris-based Romain Lenancker
- New York's Meatpacking district rebranded by Base Design to highlight area’s “contrasts”
- Being creative and looking at art: what can it do for mental health?
- Impossible perspectives and block-like figures in Mernet Larsen’s paintings
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Pentagram’s Emily Oberman brands Snoop Dogg’s new line of weed products
- How do you redesign Kinfolk? What does graphic designing for Wes Anderson involve? Can drawing get you girls?
- Inspire and being inspired: graphic designers who teach