Versatility is one of the key skills that can help insulate a creative against the vicissitudes of the working world and so Alvaro Laura is really well-placed to flourish as he is able to turn his talented hands to such an eclectic range of commissions. Scrolling through his portfolio, you find that the Spanish born, Berlin-based illustrator moves effortlessly between the silly and the serious, the conceptual and the commercial.
So one minute you’re enjoying his posters for the Retiro Park Puppet Theatre in Madrid, stringed animals bursting with colour and vibrancy, and the next your catapulted into a seething, spitting mass of mods. Then you’re musing on his conceptual editorial pieces illustrating ideas as diverse as transsexuality and the danger of employees taking clients with them when they leave companies, clear and communicative, and the next your dazzled by work for massive brands like Puma, Red Bull, Alfa Romeo and Eden Spiekermann.
His busy work schedule barely leaves him time for learning German alongside his passions for playing guitar and skatebaording, “But I will make it…” he tells us in his online biography. rom what we’ve seen, only a fool would bet against him…
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang