Versatility is one of the key skills that can help insulate a creative against the vicissitudes of the working world and so Alvaro Laura is really well-placed to flourish as he is able to turn his talented hands to such an eclectic range of commissions. Scrolling through his portfolio, you find that the Spanish born, Berlin-based illustrator moves effortlessly between the silly and the serious, the conceptual and the commercial.
So one minute you’re enjoying his posters for the Retiro Park Puppet Theatre in Madrid, stringed animals bursting with colour and vibrancy, and the next your catapulted into a seething, spitting mass of mods. Then you’re musing on his conceptual editorial pieces illustrating ideas as diverse as transsexuality and the danger of employees taking clients with them when they leave companies, clear and communicative, and the next your dazzled by work for massive brands like Puma, Red Bull, Alfa Romeo and Eden Spiekermann.
His busy work schedule barely leaves him time for learning German alongside his passions for playing guitar and skatebaording, “But I will make it…” he tells us in his online biography. rom what we’ve seen, only a fool would bet against him…
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography