Versatility is one of the key skills that can help insulate a creative against the vicissitudes of the working world and so Alvaro Laura is really well-placed to flourish as he is able to turn his talented hands to such an eclectic range of commissions. Scrolling through his portfolio, you find that the Spanish born, Berlin-based illustrator moves effortlessly between the silly and the serious, the conceptual and the commercial.
So one minute you’re enjoying his posters for the Retiro Park Puppet Theatre in Madrid, stringed animals bursting with colour and vibrancy, and the next your catapulted into a seething, spitting mass of mods. Then you’re musing on his conceptual editorial pieces illustrating ideas as diverse as transsexuality and the danger of employees taking clients with them when they leave companies, clear and communicative, and the next your dazzled by work for massive brands like Puma, Red Bull, Alfa Romeo and Eden Spiekermann.
His busy work schedule barely leaves him time for learning German alongside his passions for playing guitar and skatebaording, “But I will make it…” he tells us in his online biography. rom what we’ve seen, only a fool would bet against him…
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design