Versatility is one of the key skills that can help insulate a creative against the vicissitudes of the working world and so Alvaro Laura is really well-placed to flourish as he is able to turn his talented hands to such an eclectic range of commissions. Scrolling through his portfolio, you find that the Spanish born, Berlin-based illustrator moves effortlessly between the silly and the serious, the conceptual and the commercial.
So one minute you’re enjoying his posters for the Retiro Park Puppet Theatre in Madrid, stringed animals bursting with colour and vibrancy, and the next your catapulted into a seething, spitting mass of mods. Then you’re musing on his conceptual editorial pieces illustrating ideas as diverse as transsexuality and the danger of employees taking clients with them when they leave companies, clear and communicative, and the next your dazzled by work for massive brands like Puma, Red Bull, Alfa Romeo and Eden Spiekermann.
His busy work schedule barely leaves him time for learning German alongside his passions for playing guitar and skatebaording, “But I will make it…” he tells us in his online biography. rom what we’ve seen, only a fool would bet against him…
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant