Versatility is one of the key skills that can help insulate a creative against the vicissitudes of the working world and so Alvaro Laura is really well-placed to flourish as he is able to turn his talented hands to such an eclectic range of commissions. Scrolling through his portfolio, you find that the Spanish born, Berlin-based illustrator moves effortlessly between the silly and the serious, the conceptual and the commercial.
So one minute you’re enjoying his posters for the Retiro Park Puppet Theatre in Madrid, stringed animals bursting with colour and vibrancy, and the next your catapulted into a seething, spitting mass of mods. Then you’re musing on his conceptual editorial pieces illustrating ideas as diverse as transsexuality and the danger of employees taking clients with them when they leave companies, clear and communicative, and the next your dazzled by work for massive brands like Puma, Red Bull, Alfa Romeo and Eden Spiekermann.
His busy work schedule barely leaves him time for learning German alongside his passions for playing guitar and skatebaording, “But I will make it…” he tells us in his online biography. rom what we’ve seen, only a fool would bet against him…
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU