We’re enormous fans of Studio Dumbar, time and time again they demonstrate that they can turn their talents to any creative problem and come out on top with a clear, communicative design solution. Whether it’s signage for a global shipping giant or a new identity for an award-winning international orchestra you can be sure the results will be magnificent.
But what about the branding of an organisation that has less positive associations, representing an illness that affects people’s lives both physically and emotionally? Alzheimer Nederland, Holland’s dementia support organisation, recently approached the studio to overhaul all of their branding and identity from a clinical, inaccessible green logotype to something altogether more communicative.
Steering clear of the sentimentality that medical branding often takes, the studio created a striking logotype that represents the physical manifestations of Alzheimer’s on the brain, paired with bright colours and clear type that renders the organisation instantly more approachable. It’s a difficult brief to satisfy, but we think Studio Dumbar have done a remarkable job.
- “My personal work informs everything that comes after it" and other bits we learned at September's Nicer Tuesdays
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- Vicky Grout takes us on a photographic trip through east London using Kodak's Ektra smartphone
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Timo Kuilder combines clean-cut linework with limited colours in his editorial work
- David Luraschi’s strikingly simple new campaign for fashion brand Jacquemus
- How 13 designers responded to a one-word brief: water
- Nicolas Ménard creates short animation for online mortgage broker Habito