I don’t know if you’ve seen Toddlers in Tiaras, the TV show about mothers who tote their children at beauty pageants like they’re tiny little dolls in eyeshadow and crunchy dresses, but it’s disturbing stuff. Imagine, though, if you took every little girl from that show and replaced them with a painted hermit crab or a dog with dreadlocks. It would be not only a lot more entertaining, but pretty aesthetically pleasing, right?
This is that! This is Toddlers in Tiaras for animals! Also known as Welcome to the Show, the new series by Brooklyn-based photographer Amy Lombard. Her excellent series puts all manner of fauna, and the extraordinary people who look after it, under spotlight. Now I know this isn’t the first the we’ve seen a series about animal shows, but it certainly is the first time we’ve seen them quite like this; so brightly coloured that they almost don’t look real, and featuring funny-looking creatures who seem to have as much personality as their owners. It’s not the only project in her portfolio which is day-making material, either. See for yourself.
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August