I don’t know if you’ve seen Toddlers in Tiaras, the TV show about mothers who tote their children at beauty pageants like they’re tiny little dolls in eyeshadow and crunchy dresses, but it’s disturbing stuff. Imagine, though, if you took every little girl from that show and replaced them with a painted hermit crab or a dog with dreadlocks. It would be not only a lot more entertaining, but pretty aesthetically pleasing, right?
This is that! This is Toddlers in Tiaras for animals! Also known as Welcome to the Show, the new series by Brooklyn-based photographer Amy Lombard. Her excellent series puts all manner of fauna, and the extraordinary people who look after it, under spotlight. Now I know this isn’t the first the we’ve seen a series about animal shows, but it certainly is the first time we’ve seen them quite like this; so brightly coloured that they almost don’t look real, and featuring funny-looking creatures who seem to have as much personality as their owners. It’s not the only project in her portfolio which is day-making material, either. See for yourself.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale