I don’t know if you’ve seen Toddlers in Tiaras, the TV show about mothers who tote their children at beauty pageants like they’re tiny little dolls in eyeshadow and crunchy dresses, but it’s disturbing stuff. Imagine, though, if you took every little girl from that show and replaced them with a painted hermit crab or a dog with dreadlocks. It would be not only a lot more entertaining, but pretty aesthetically pleasing, right?
This is that! This is Toddlers in Tiaras for animals! Also known as Welcome to the Show, the new series by Brooklyn-based photographer Amy Lombard. Her excellent series puts all manner of fauna, and the extraordinary people who look after it, under spotlight. Now I know this isn’t the first the we’ve seen a series about animal shows, but it certainly is the first time we’ve seen them quite like this; so brightly coloured that they almost don’t look real, and featuring funny-looking creatures who seem to have as much personality as their owners. It’s not the only project in her portfolio which is day-making material, either. See for yourself.
- Get your pout on, it's Valentine's weekend, and it's the Best of the Web
- Moby Digg uses basic colours and shapes for photo exhibition identity
- From celebs to cleaners, Maxi Cohen photographs ladies’ rooms around the world
- Seoul-based illustrator Yeon Ji Kang's beautifully thick-limbed ballerinas
- Roses at the ready, our round-up of the best Valentine’s Day ideas from the creative world
- First Dates for those who create: two-thirds of Nous Vous on their special three-way relationship
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016