Whether you love them or hate them, fashion magazines never fail to spark controversy. On the one hand they’re inherently elitist and raise alarming questions about our attitudes towards women, body image and economic inequality that some consider to be the very worst aspects of western culture. On the other hand isn’t their key purpose quite a simple one; to show off beautiful sartorial creations in the most flattering way possible – and don’t they do it rather well? Whichever side of the fence you sit on it’s probably a debate you’ve grown weary of.
So how’s about a surprisingly fresh take on the whole thing, albeit a fairly anti-fashion one? Aurelien Juner is a French multidisciplinary designer living and working in Barcelona. His photographic project Surface is a personal reflection “on the function of the fashion magazine as a medium of dissemination of mass culture images and [their] relation to reality.” In this series he binds, rips, burns and submerges the most influential fashion publications, prompting us to question the essence of the glossy images we digest on a daily basis and whether we should concern ourselves with their message.
Whether you’re a die-hard fashionista or find the whole industry abhorrent you can’t deny the creative flair and crisp execution of a project that tackles such hotly-debated subject. Though be warned, some of the images definitely aren’t safe for work.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Founder and editor-in-chief of Intern Magazine Alec Dudson shares his favourite books
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)