I’m not going to lie and pretend my knowledge of basketball stretches further than Space Jam, but this basketball video is enough to make you want to find out everything there is to know about this kind of gritty street sport. Stephane Ashpool kindly sent over this fantastic video of, in his words “a poor but very rich soul area here in Paris called Barbes, GoutteD’or” and the basketball that is played on the streets. As well as shots of intimidatingly-good basketball players twisting through green smoke-filled courts, expect some quite beautiful footage of the food and the locals and a great shot of a flaming basketball hoop.
Project by Pigalle Paris, directed by Paul Geusebroek & Stephane Ashpool
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- Viva MS Paint: illustrators pay tribute to (the now saved) program
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc