A new publication by Bedford Press explores a single image taken by Dutch photographer Bas Princen. His photograph Ringroad, Houston that has been in circulation for around a decade is explored through his photography, essays and Bas’ meticulous research process to document the efforts and decisions that go into making up his precise image. With contributions from architect and longtime collaborator Kersten Geers, Mortiz Kung and Geoff Manaugh, the publication is a riposte to contemporary situation where “photography has become content, instantly uploaded and peer-reviewed in ‘likes.’”
The 92-page book, designed by Wayne Daly and edited by Vanessa Norwood, is three-hole thread sewn and comes in a sparse dust cover that shows Ringroad, Houston and only necessary information. Inside are photographs that preceded the cover shot, taken on a trip that led to the building and photographs of references books produced by the photographer – collections of images that “test possible dialogues and formal arrangements’, becoming placeholders for photographs he has yet to take.”
“In Princen’s hands the camera becomes a theodolite, measuring and recording what he sees to become a taxonomy of landscapes, and despite hugely disparate locations, recognisable spatial typologies emerge,” writes Vanessa in the introduction. Bas has won numerous awards and accolades for his work, this book is a fascinating insight into the way he thinks and works.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant