A new publication by Bedford Press explores a single image taken by Dutch photographer Bas Princen. His photograph Ringroad, Houston that has been in circulation for around a decade is explored through his photography, essays and Bas’ meticulous research process to document the efforts and decisions that go into making up his precise image. With contributions from architect and longtime collaborator Kersten Geers, Mortiz Kung and Geoff Manaugh, the publication is a riposte to contemporary situation where “photography has become content, instantly uploaded and peer-reviewed in ‘likes.’”
The 92-page book, designed by Wayne Daly and edited by Vanessa Norwood, is three-hole thread sewn and comes in a sparse dust cover that shows Ringroad, Houston and only necessary information. Inside are photographs that preceded the cover shot, taken on a trip that led to the building and photographs of references books produced by the photographer – collections of images that “test possible dialogues and formal arrangements’, becoming placeholders for photographs he has yet to take.”
“In Princen’s hands the camera becomes a theodolite, measuring and recording what he sees to become a taxonomy of landscapes, and despite hugely disparate locations, recognisable spatial typologies emerge,” writes Vanessa in the introduction. Bas has won numerous awards and accolades for his work, this book is a fascinating insight into the way he thinks and works.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design