Is anyone else slightly unnerved by how happy Bill Callahan has been of late? His songs no longer deal with loneliness and somewhat terrifying obsession and now dwell on nicer, every day things such as driving in the car with your loved one as a snoozing pillion passenger. Yes I know it’s nicer to listen to songs about that sort of thing, but I kind of miss wigging out to some of his earlier classics where he would, for example, go into stark lyrical detail about arranging a woman’s lingerie into the shape of a little dolly on the bed while she’s out.
Anyway, what I’m getting at here is that Bill is deeply content now, and it’s all down to his mega-talented filmmaker wife Hanly Banks. We interviewed Hanly in the first issue of Printed Pages about the documentary she made about Bill and we’ve been keeping a close eye on her marvellous photography and films since. This video, created and directed by Hanly and Chris Rusch, shows Bill as a planet, orbiting through space in solitude on the hunt for a female planet lost in the vast universe.
The charming stop-motion and the meticulous set that looks like what you want your diorama to look like as a kid is the perfect visual accompaniment to a witty song like Javelin Unlanding, and to a Callahan fan such as myself it’s pretty perfect. Even if it does remind us of the moon guy from The Mighty Boosh.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)