From Freud to Salt n Pepa, mankind has long harboured an obsession with sexy times and the psychological mechanics surrounding them. Lust is such an individual experience that it gives free range to creatives looking to produce something erotic, playing as they can with our personal predilections.
So when Amsterdam-based duo Anuschka Blommers and Niels Schumm were approached by new erotic title Baron magazine, they decided to stick with what they know and produced these extraordinary shots of everyday objects somehow transformed into a charged, seductive series.
As Niels explains: “We didn’t want to shoot erotics in a real way, as we’re not so specialised in this skill. Normal objects though are much more in our area, so we looked more in this direction. It’s nice that people think they are perverts looking at these boring still-lifes. ”
The magazine launched this week and describes itself on the website thus: "Enter Baron, The Erotic Paperback Magazine for gentlemen and ladies who enjoy a cocktail, chit chatting about modern art, fine dressing and when the lights faint and the gin runs out, become connoisseurs at taking their companion into bed. "
It’s got a top line-up of creative talent on board and some eye-popping articles on things I couldn’t mention on a family website…
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know