From Freud to Salt n Pepa, mankind has long harboured an obsession with sexy times and the psychological mechanics surrounding them. Lust is such an individual experience that it gives free range to creatives looking to produce something erotic, playing as they can with our personal predilections.
So when Amsterdam-based duo Anuschka Blommers and Niels Schumm were approached by new erotic title Baron magazine, they decided to stick with what they know and produced these extraordinary shots of everyday objects somehow transformed into a charged, seductive series.
As Niels explains: “We didn’t want to shoot erotics in a real way, as we’re not so specialised in this skill. Normal objects though are much more in our area, so we looked more in this direction. It’s nice that people think they are perverts looking at these boring still-lifes. ”
The magazine launched this week and describes itself on the website thus: "Enter Baron, The Erotic Paperback Magazine for gentlemen and ladies who enjoy a cocktail, chit chatting about modern art, fine dressing and when the lights faint and the gin runs out, become connoisseurs at taking their companion into bed. "
It’s got a top line-up of creative talent on board and some eye-popping articles on things I couldn’t mention on a family website…
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc