Despite sharing his surname with one of literature’s most dastardly characters, Paul is actually a really nice guy. He’s a well-known, London-based artist and illustrator and is also the creative director of Human After All and the former creative director of Little White Lies magazine. So yeah, pretty talented really. He’s given us a very, very concise peek into his bookshelf today and my oh my does he have some gems! A book of Chinese apothecary packaging design? Yes please.
Robert Crumb: Sketchbooks
I picked up three volumes of Crumb’s sketchbooks after his show in London’s Whitechapel Gallery. I tend to like artists’ sketchbooks way more than their finished pieces most of the time. The drawings are completely uninhibited and unapologetic.
Graphis Annual 63/64
I sound like a broken record now when it comes to these annuals. They’re just a great addition to creatives’ sphere of influence, as they show commercial art from a wildly different time.
This is a collection of black and white illustration work from one of Japan’s most prolific artists and illustrators. I love the bizarreness and fluidity of line. He manages to render simple objects with a unique energy.
Hong Kong Apothecary: a Visual History of Chinese Medicine Packaging
Athlete’s foot packaging has never looked so beautiful.
Diane Arbus: Revelations
Stunning book from one of the best exhibitions I’ve seen in London. She’s had a huge influence on the way I observe characters.
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery