There’s nothing better than having a nosey around someone’s bookshelf as it tells you such an enormous amount about them. In the case of a creative studio, the contents of the bookshelf are a direct inspiration to conversation around the work and the finished results. Popular UK is a multidisciplinary studio whose work offers fresh solutions to clients in the music, fashion retail and publishing sectors. For me, their bookshelf holds the stuff of dreams, which seems to translate directly to their very interesting portfolio.
Norman Mailer: The Faith Of Graffiti
This must rank as my best ever Oxfam find. For the princely sum of one new english pound, I found this gem of a book in mint condition. One of the first books of it’s kind documenting the very early days of Graffiti with a fantastic accompanying text by Norman Mailer.
Ernst Hubert and Willy B Wange: Die Olympischen Spiele
A fantastic book containing a wonderful selection of colour-saturated sports photography from the 1972 Munich Olympics. Some of the stand out images are of the swimmer Mark Spitz, who won seven gold medals at the games.
A Christmas gift from my mate Paul a couple of years ago. A book about Californian airbrush in the 1970’s. A much-admired book in the studio that is packed with some of the most amazing airbrush art you have ever seen.
Maurice Rickards: Posters Of The First World War
This much-used reference book contains a huge selection of colour and black and white propaganda posters from the First World War.
Modern Publicity 1980
I am a huge fan of the Modern Publicity books from the 70s and 80s, I buy them whenever I see them in a bookshop. This one in particular from 1980 is my favourite from the series. It is packed full of timeless, quality graphic design, art direction and photography.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations