Any photographer that uses film will have have, at some point, been struck by how much more beautiful the negatives can be than the photo themselves – particularly the medium format variety. Brea Souders, whose work you may remember from that iconic Creative Review cover of the girl with the sunburnt back, has noticed the beauty in these cast-off negatives and embarked on a new project, using them to make some very striking collages.
These are not merely bits of aesthetic pleasure, the real fun lies in how each image is created – in a game of chance and electricity, overseen by Brea herself. “These images are made of cut-outs from my film archives, dating back 10 years. Pieces of positive and negative film are scattered onto sheets of acetate. Static electricity determines which pieces appear in the final image, as some fall to the ground and others cling to the surface.”
If you haven’t already, check out Brea’s website – her fast-growing list of diverse photography projects are an absolute joy and we can’t wait to see what she does next. Watch this space!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting